A Calm Start to 2017 Assessment

We are already more than halfway through this second block of teaching and I cannot believe that the year is almost over. I have submitted all my application forms for my year abroad, now all that is left to do is wait for the university’s final confirmation to go through and to get that 2:1 average! Although I haven’t had to hand in any assignments to hand in yet, I know that there are few coming around the corner (five to be precise!)

I am enjoying my two new Anthropology modules: ‘Social Theories’ and ‘Gender, Sexuality and the Body.’ The lectures and seminars are always engaging as they explore past and contemporary studies within the field. We are also encouraged to draw upon our own personal experiences to craft our arguments and ideas. I do appreciate the fact we can independently create new creative and imaginative arguments, however I’m worried about how scholarly my views might come across in potential formals assessments we will hand in. In about a week’s time, our first assignment, a « reflective notebook » tacking our perception of femininity and masculinity in our society will be due. My main challenge will be to make my writing scholarly as well as personal.

The Liberal Arts module, Reading The Past, has been more challenging for me. We are studying many time periods (ranging from the Roman empire to the Transatlantic slave trade) so it is quite a fast pace teaching that requires us quickly to absorb a variety of information whilst finding common underlying themes and patterns that unite all these contrasting topics.

So far, these past couple of weeks have been quite dormant. I am quite lucky to have this time to compose myself before the stream of deadlines starts to flow. The warmer and longer days have been keeping me enthusiastic and I’m excited for Spring and for the term to come to a satisfying close!

-Corrie

Posted in Blog posts