Busy busy busy!

The start of the second term in my second year here came with the promise of a lot of work… and I can honestly say that it’s certainly lived up to its expectations!

This term is proving itself to be the busiest term I’ve had so far. Not only am I taking English this term (not one, but TWO modules!), the Liberal Arts module called Reading the Past is also a lot of work. Having said that… I’m loving it! As a module which aims to teach us about the issues and problems of gaining access to and interpreting the past, it’s really expanding my historical knowledge (of which I had a limited amount…) and I’m gaining insight into a whole new world of historical interpretation! I’m finding it absolutely fascinating, learning how empires like separated in time by hundreds of years can be so inextricably linked.

As a Liberal Arts student I often get asked (by people in engineering or sciences) if I ever run out of things to do. Surely, I have a lot of free time, right? WRONG. The English core module which I have to take in order to fulfil my pathway requirements is all about 16thand 17th century British literature (which, believe me, is not at all ‘light reading’). My other English module, however, gets me through it. I’m taking Satire and finding it so interesting to look at this genre throughout literature and beyond. However, perhaps the cherry on top of the piles of work I already have, is French.

Things are starting to get real in my compulsory language learning module. The pressure, you could say, is on! With exams at the end of this term, I’m really going to have to work on my writing and speaking skills. But I’ll get there. Before I know it, it’ll be Easter and then we’re almost done!

-Vicky

Posted in Blog posts